After finishing the casing the time had finally come to assemble the cluster. The first step was to fit the aluminium tubes that would act as stands for the RPI’s. I also used a small piece of tubing for all the cable holes just to give me a unified look.
The little 10 mm brass ball-shaped nuts act as legs. Later on I will use those too on top of the RPI’s. Again, for the look 🙂
The next step was fitting the switch and hub in the casing. I already knew this was going to be a pretty tight fit…
With all those cables sticking out I did not really know where to start.. But I worked myself carefully through all cables and ended up with this:
I think it worked out very, very well! In order to give the hub and switch a bit more cooling, I decided not to install the bottom plate. With the cables being tucked in so neatly this was not necessary after all.
I used some USB plugs that could be mounted without soldering which worked out perfectly. I made a fifth lead that feeds the switch so now only 2 cables go into the cluster. Again, I “borrowed” heavily from this blog post.
Last step was mounting the Raspberry Pi’s on top of the casing.It took some fiddling but it all came together pretty much as I had in my head. Below the pictures of the finished cluster.
The last thing to was put the cluster on my desk, plug in the power and network cable and power the whole thing up… And YES, it works!!
Now all that is left to do is getting Hadoop, Hive etc. installed and working…